Friday, March 9, 2012

Basketball and Jealousy



Yesterday was the day of all days....the start of the BIG 12 Conference Tournament.  Well not the start of it since it technically started on Wednesday night but those games don't really count all that much...they were the sucky teams playing!  Yesterday started the good teams playing...ya know KU, MU, and K-State!  Now I am a huge KU fan but I can respect the fans of MU and K-State and will generally cheer for these two other teams as long as they aren't playing KU.  I'm nice like that...


Anyway, the games started yesterday afternoon.  And where was I?  Oh, that's right, sitting in my office working!  Boo Hiss!  Where were Aaron and Jersey?  At home watching basketball.  I would have loved nothing more than to be able to sit around all day and watched the games.  I don't even require being at the games; although that would have been pretty fantastic as well.


My day started like this....Nick Peterson (great friend of mine from college, huge MU fan, and a dude who buys tickets all of the games for the Big 12 tournament every year and comes up from Columbia for the 4 days of games) called me at 10:20 am.  I of course answer the phone and to hear "Becky, I'm drinking a beer for you right now."


My response, "Umm oh ok, thanks.  Ya know, it isn't really nice to do this to a girl!"


His response, "Sorry!  But I thought you would like to know I was thinking about ya.  Becky, I can respect that you are a KU fan and that's cool, I don't agree with it but I can respect it.  But do you want to know what I really respect about you?"


"What Nick? I can only imagine."


"That you are a KU fan with a job!  There are like a billion KU fans down here with a job."


I just laughed at him and thanked him.  After a few more minutes of discussion about KU fans being lazy and worthless he then informs me that he will be in town until Sunday and he will have to see me on Saturday because he hasn't seen me in ages and he needs to be meet his new boy of mine.


As if I'm not distraught enough after this little phone call, Aaron calls me and tells me that he is going to spend the day watching basketball.   Not because he really wants to but because that is what I would do if I had the day off and he loves me.  I know puke-in-your-mouth cute but slightly aggrevating when I just wanted to be watching basketball.


Aaron and I then had an exchange of text messages regarding the basketball watching that went something like this:


Aaron:  I'm chilling in bed watching bball
Becky:  I do not like you very much right now
Aaron:  K State is sucking...Can't get a rebound for the life of them
Becky:  Nice!  I'm going to watch the KU game at work
Aaron:  LOL it's being watched here too
Becky:  Well no kidding!
Aaron:  LOL...half time, time to get lunch and money
Becky:  Nice
Aaron:  So, when KU beats Baylor tomorrow and Iowa beats MU.  Your boy should give us his tickets to the KU Iowa championship game on Saturday
Becky:  Ha that would be phenomenal but a dream I believe
Aaron:  Think Positive
Becky:  Yea ok I will.  Are you back in bed doing my favorite March activity?
Aaron:  Nope in my big chair watching the game

Becky:  Grrr
Aaron:  Thought about buying some beer
Becky:  Grrr
Aaron:  But then I thought I don't have any olives
Becky:  True
Aaron:  So I thought I could just pop a bottle of wine
Becky:  Grrr
Aaron:  Which wine goes with bball?
Becky:  None


I also called him shortly after this little exchange happened.  And his response was "You have to call me to discuss what wine pairs well with basketball?"


I asked him how Jersey was.  His response was "Well he's fine.  He's just chilling on my lap watching basketball too.  Do you know what I do when he starts licking my face?"


I said "No what?"


Aaron's response was "I just lift him up above my head and he sits in my hand and looks out the window."


Aaron thought this was just hilarious....he doesn't realize this is Jersey's favorite spot at home:


This turned out to be a way longer post than intended.  When I got home Aaron very sweetly said, "I recorded the K-State and KU games for you."


Man, I love that boy!!!

No comments: